After a final swim at Cable beach we headed further north to spend the night at
Fitroy Crossing where a section of the caravan parking was set aside for those in isolation after travelling
from the Northern Territory. We were being ultra cautious so we didn’t venture to the facilities and used those
in the van only.
We are lucky here in western Australia that all we have to do is keep to social distancing rules and ping on the app outside shops so that we can be traced if there is an outbreak of Covid.
Before we left Fitzroy we drove 20kms to Geike Gorge or Danggu in the local language and did an hour’s boat trip up and down the gorge which was very interesting and a very peaceful environment especially when the boat’s engine was turned off so that we could just hear the sounds of nature. There were a few species of birds on the banks and swallows making their nests under the rocks. The change in colour of the rocks delineates where the water rises to in the wet season which reaches a considerable height. They have over 38 species of fish in the gorge both salt and freshwater types. The most unusual is the long toothed sawfish of which we saw none. There are small fresh water crocodiles which are not dangerous to humans as they cannot open their jaws like the very large saltwater variety.
We had practically no traffic from Broome to Fitroy crossing and none from there until near Doon Doon station where an old man in his caravan went very slowly and held up 2 large road trains and us who were following.
The landscape on the way from Warnum to Doon Doon changed from being long straight stretches with very little on the horizon to undulating and winding roads which were much more interesting.
The roadhouse at Doon Doon station is in the middle of nowhere so the stars were bright and beautiful at night with no lights to detract from them.
It was only a short drive, an hour and a half to the town of Wyndham. The caravan park was also divided in to those who were in isolation and others. It was a lovely peaceful, leafy park with an enormous Boab tree at the far end of the park.
We visited the Afghan cemetery off the main road and made our way up a steep road to the Five Rivers lookout which
was a spectacular place. I managed to get my drone up in the air for a short video which showed the vast amount of water in the five rivers converging around Wyndham.
We had to try the barramundi with lemon pepper pie which was delicious but passed on the crocodile pie. The cafe assistant said crocodile tasted like a mixture of meat and fish so it didn’t sound very appetising.
We only stayed one night in Wyndham as the following day was my birthday and we wanted to celebrate in some style. Unfortunately the only hotel in Wyndham had closed so we left the next morning for the short one hour drive first to “hidden valley’ very close to Kununurra for a bit of a hike up to two lookouts one over the town and around the interesting rock formations. After visiting the ‘Hootchery’ to sample their gin we went into Kununurra had an excellent fresh fish and chip lunch at the old pumphouse now a very nice restaurant overlooking the Ord River and we then checked into our Kimberleyland Caravan Park which was bursting at the seams with lots of children on school holidays. Thankfully they will be back at school next week.
Craig Maurice’s son and his wife Yuko sent us a voucher for a meal at the Kimberley Grand resort hotel and I had the best steak that I have had for years and Maurice had excellent fresh fish again.
The weather has been perfect for us 32-37degrees and sunshine with coolish nights, good for sleeping. We are spending a week here before moving slightly east to Lake Argyle